1:3500 scale miniature paper model, about 5.75 inches long
Named by Spanish explorers "La Isla de los Alcatraces" for its pelicans, this barren island was claimed by the American government in 1853 as a strategic position to guard San Francisco Bay's entrance. The military prison at the fort became a federal penitentiary in 1934, a reputedly inescapable lockup for the most troublesome prisoners such as mobsters Al Capone and "Machine Gun" Kelly. Closed down in 1963, the abandoned site was later occupied by Native American activists as a protest against government policies. The island is now preserved as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Copyright 2024 Matt Bergstrom